Attention All Foam Roller Fans
Oct 18, 2021
If you are working on better positioning and movement but are having a hard time letting go of your foam roll…
Try this exercise as instructed by @posturalrestoration called the Sternal Stretch.
- Fold a yoga mat in half and then in half again to use as the pad
- Pad should be the width of your shoulders
- Lay on your back with your knees bent
- Push both feet into the floor to posteriorly tilt your pelvis and get your tailbone off the floor
- Arms are out to the side, palms up, with shoulders supported on the mat
- Head is off the mat but supported by the floor
What will you gain and feel with this exercise
- A true stretch of the anterior chest without over extension of the spine
- A true pectorial stretch without over lengthening of the anterior shoulder joint
- Major abdominal recruitment for core strength
- Grounding through the feet to help with upright activities
- Expansion of the anterior chest wall (remember lungs are in our chest, not our bellly)
- Posterior pelvic tilt for inhibition of an anteriorly tipped pelvis
- Hamstring engagement for pelvis support and hip positioning
- Cervical lordosis to decrease forward head posture
- Pelvic floor engagement to support intestines and pelvic organs
- Improved parasympathetic response for digestion
Just to name a few...
This is a full body activity and DAMN does it feel good.
To make this more challenging, try it laying over a large exercise ball. This will really give you an additional 🔥🔥🔥 of the hamstrings and glutes!
Let me know how it feels or if you have questions,
Oh, and please feel free to share this with your family and friends,
Paige, PT, PRc